Friday, August 18, 2006

Visas and flying solo....

So Visa paperwork finally arrived via FedX yesterday!!! Woo Hooo! We need to complete more paperwork, get more notaries done...send in passports (yikes!) and wait some more for Travel Approval.

We also got word yesterday from a travel agency that tickets from Frankfurt to Beijing run somewhere along the lines of $2000! OUCH! Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Cha-ching! (You get the picture) We have been saving all year so the kids could make the trip with us but at this price it is unthinkable. Soooo...one of us has to stay behind with the boys while the other goes to China for Jaiden. Scott nominated me - I nominated him...late night discussing what to do. It is only 6 am so too early to check with local sources for airfare right now but travelocity is telling me that the cost of a roundtrip ticket from Frankfurt to Beijing is around $1300 - which is still pricey and we can't really afford this x5. Plus the issue of whether or not the boys can use their government issued passports is still unresolved...

It will be a highly stressful and emotional two weeks and the more I think about it the more I'm thinking that maybe the boys would benefit more from meeting their sister on their own turf instead of in a hotel room for two weeks...plus this would give Jaiden a chance to build a bond of trust with me so when she is thrown full throttle into this new world maybe she will be able to bounce back a little quicker.

I don't want to take this experience away from the boys and I worry about Jaiden's bond with Scott if he isn't there those first few days but I'm thinking maybe it will be easier on them all if they meet her at home. This is such a new twist and I have not even given a moments thought to what if the boys couldn't come along. I've always thought we would make this journey as a family. I could use all the advice I could get on this matter. What should we do?

2 comments:

Tamara said...

What a huge turn of event. I am leaving my daughter home with her Daddy but my Mom is going with me. The one on one time bonding will be good for you I think but I know you will miss your boys like crazy. Good luck working out the details.

Those who serve the little dictatrice. said...

Hi Kim,
Just wanted to thank you for your nice comments on our video.
Congratulations also on your recent referral! Our daughter, Aveleen, is also from Jiangxi Province. How very exciting for you! We wish your family the best of luck!