Wednesday, June 06, 2007

So much love!

I feel so loved after reading your comments on the last post! How sweet!

It's been a busy week with family trips and visits. My mom came to Grand Forks all the way from Mena Arkansas the day after we returned from a visit to my hubby's family so it's been a long time since I've had much computer time and when I am on it I've been obsessing over building a new neighborhood on my Sims2 game. With my life being so out of control I needed a "happy place" to go to (details on another blog - this one is for cutie pie) My simulated little world takes my mind off the endless cold here. I am a summer girl and the lack of is driving me bonkers in spite of my life being showered with blessings.

Ok, enough of that - I'll catch up with all the details eventually on my other blog. I created this blog for Jaiden and its dedicated to watching her grow...which she has been doing by leaps and bounds! She is a Daddy's girl, when he comes home she squeals "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" at the top of her lungs and then runs around saying "Daaad, Daaaaaa, and Daddddda" it's soooo cute! While my mom was here, she said "Mammaw" plain as day too. My mom made her some adorable little summer dresses (will try to post some photos of that soon too) it rained most of the week but in between rains we got to get out and plant new flowers. My stepdad and I planted a red peony which I am dedicating to Jaiden. It looks like it is about to bloom - I so hope it doesn't drop the buds from the shock of transplanting. I bought 3 other peonies which I wound up giving to my mother in law because we just didn't have enough room to cart back with us last weekend. It was pretty packed in the SUV with 3 kids, 2 adults and a puppy plus all the goodies I had found while shopping with my SIL and niece. (I was taking advantage of the no sales tax on clothes) since I will be going back to work soon...also another story for the other blog. There will be many tears. I have an interview with a daycare center tommorrow. This will be Jaiden's first time in that kind of place (Gasp) it breaks my heart to even consider it but...that's another long story I'm afraid no one would like to hear.

So can I ask you something my bloggie buddies??? What do you do when a small child has temper tantrums? I've never had to deal with this with my boys - they are very mild tempered. The only times they ever cried as babies was when they were wet or hungry...when this was taken care of they were content and sometimes they were content even when they were wet. With Jaiden I have been initiated into motherhood 101 without a clue to what the world of tantrums was all about. I am afraid that she is going to hurt herself somehow with the fits that she throws. She will be in the midst of a tantrum and I can get her to laugh out loud and then she resumes her blood curtling screaming and thrashing fits. What's a mommy to do? She pulls her hair, scratches herself and kicks and flops around something terrible during these instances. I try to calm her down but she doesn't want to be held or even touched and while leaving her alone to let it pass sometimes works, she usually can scream for a long time - or she can just shut it off like a switch. I'm confused at what to do and how to teach her to express herself without anger. Am I wrong? Is this just part of her that we need to let her express? We are trying to wean her from the night night bottle and this has triggered the latest of the trauma. She doesn't want a sippy cup in its place but I suppose if she did we would have to wean her from that too. I know this is a deep subject but I'd really appreciate any advice on this matter. She is about to go to bed now and I gave her a bottle of water to compromise. We took away her binkie (pacifier) a month or so ago and she had no problems with that but seems to be more attached to the bottle. What do your children sleep with? She has her blankie too - should we just take the bottle away cold turkey? I am such a softie and her tears just breaks my heart even though she can stop them on a dime and start laughing in the midst of a full blown fit. What should I do???

3 comments:

Jonathan and Michelle said...

Hi, I just wanted to say "HEY"! I will be watching what people tell you about fits. Our son never threw one that I can remember, and Mena throw them ALL DAY LONG! It's pretty rough. Hang in there and it's good to see you back!
Michelle

Yen973 said...

Hi Kim,
Shealin never had a bottle at night, so I can't help there. She will have an occasional tantrum though. It is really importent to be consistent. I know its hard. I usually want to cry too. I have been very successful with time outs and rewards for good behavior. I need to patch Shea's eye everyday and in the beginning she would scream and fight. I started giving her some mini m&ms and she stopped fighting. You can use anything as a reward though as long as it it rewarding to her. I hope this helps.
Dana
www.shealinsworld.blogspot.com

Jewels of My Heart said...

(Big Hug) I am sorry you have to go back to work. That is so hard.
I would highly recomend a book called Holding Time. It is about holding therepy. When Nicholas came home he had normal tantrums and then he had uncontrolable rages at times. Prayer and holding therepy is what helped. There were times that if I didn't do this I am certain he would have hurt himself and me. Our little ones have gone through so much and sometimes they put up walls. And have so much anger inside.... this therepy is so difficult at times but it helps them to feel secure.
Please email me if you want more info.
Will be praying for you.
God Bless You